Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Reverse Peeping Tom Syndronme



Okay there is probably a correct term for it - but I am not going looking because:

a) too lazy
b) don't want to visit any dubious websites (which could literally open up a can of worms)

What I am referring to is a series of murder-mystery books featuring amateur detective Rei Shimura (she's half Japanese and half American) who lives in Tokyo, Japan. The first book "The Salaryman's Wife" was quite interesting - but the rest of the series headed steadily downhill.

Each book takes up a certain aspect of Japanese culture - kimonos, or manga for example, and the story revolves around that.

I wont get into too many details about the books themselves but what struck me was that in each book - there is a voyeur - ranging from complete strangers to Rei's own aunt who witness or overhear Rei's "intimate" moments.

Wait ...wait... wait the reason I noticed this was that I read one book after the other and couldn't help noticing this and it was almost as if Rei has this hidden longing in her that such things should be witnessed!

If you have ever read this series - let me know what you think...

4 comments:

  1. I'll give the first book a try, since you said it's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you manage to get through it - lets compare notes after you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds rather odd. :)

    Thanks for participating in last week's Limerick-Off. I just posted a new one. I hope to see you there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Madeleine - Been away - but will participate this week

    ReplyDelete