Thursday, September 30, 2010

Those who come in late...

Haven't blogged in a long while - what with work - and baseball practice and tryouts - okay okay I can go on with a list of excuses!

Just finished reading the "Millennium" series - of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo fame.

***Some minor spoilers ahead.***

Considering all the hype it generated I was expecting a nice and intelligent murder mystery. Instead it turned out to be a re-hash of psycho novels. I remember reading (I think it was an Arthur Hailey) book that had a similar series of murders where the victims were murdered based on some Biblical associations. I also didn't like that the entire detecting was based on a set of photographs - it was cool to start with but when you keep re-hashing the same thing - well it does get annoying. The hacker's skills were bordering on unbelievable.

Also I find Larsson (the author) tries to come up with some really weird relationships - I have heard the Swedish are quite open-minded but ... And his gay relationships have a sense of unease about them - not presented naturally at all - as my colleague S remarked "Dostana" does it better!

Everything does get tied up in the end in a really neat bundle - I have no gripes about that - coz most of the time I really hate movies or books that don't have a satisfying denouement!

I also read Sister of My Heart a novel by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. What was that crazy search for the rubies all about??? Jeez after that why bother trying to force realism into the story!! If you've read it - do let me know what you think.


1 comment:

  1. Oho, I kind of like Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni but I havent read Sister of My Heart. Will try to get my paws on it...

    ReplyDelete